Protecting Yourself on Facebook (Updated)
February 20, 2011
A couple months ago I wrote about how easy it is for someone to steal your Facebook account in less than 5 minutes. While there will always be risks in security, Facebook has finally implemented support for secure browsing. The best part? It only takes a few seconds to set up, so I highly suggest you follow along!
Enabling secure browsing on Facebook:
- Log into your Facebook account.
- In the top right menu bar, go to Account > Account Settings.
- From the Account Settings page, you will notice an area “Account Security”- located towards the bottom. Click the “change” link to the right of it.
- Directly shown underneath will be “Secure Browsing (https)“. Tick the check-box “Browse Facebook on a secure connection (https) whenever possible”.
- Save your changes. (Blue save button)
Easy enough, and now your good to go! Now it won’t be so easy for any hackers to sniff your internet traffic and get easy access to your account!
Tip! In Account Security, you will will also notice your recent Account Activity. Look here if you suspect anyone is signing onto your account at other locations!
Written by Tom Beute– a Christian, barista, and software engineer.